#857 closed defect (worksforme)

Segfault on msn_soap_passport_sso_build_request, bzr 825

Reported by: dx@… Owned by: wilmer
Priority: major Milestone:
Component: MSN Version: devel
Keywords: Cc:
IRC client+version: Client-independent Operating System: Linux
OS version/distro: Arch linux


Happens on log in, crashes the server.


#0  0xb7f41a5e in g_markup_escape_text () from /usr/lib/
#1  0xb7f41dab in g_markup_vprintf_escaped () from /usr/lib/
#2  0xb7f41ea8 in g_markup_printf_escaped () from /usr/lib/
#3  0x0807bfe1 in msn_soap_passport_sso_build_request ()
#4  0x0807b0a4 in msn_soap_send_request ()
#5  0x0807c358 in msn_soap_passport_sso_request ()
#6  0x080791ed in msn_ns_command ()
#7  0x08077388 in msn_handler ()
#8  0x08077ac5 in msn_ns_callback ()
#9  0x0806b643 in gaim_io_invoke ()
#10 0xb7f7fc7b in g_io_unix_dispatch () from /usr/lib/
#11 0xb7f3bf72 in g_main_context_dispatch () from /usr/lib/
#12 0xb7f3c750 in g_main_context_iterate () from /usr/lib/
#13 0xb7f3cdfb in g_main_loop_run () from /usr/lib/
#14 0x0806b6d3 in b_main_run ()
#15 0x08069695 in main ()

Enabling libpurple causes a segfault too, but I can't run in daemon foreground mode with it so I can't use gdb.

Attachments (0)

Change History (5)

comment:1 Changed at 2011-11-13T08:15:08Z by dx@…

Oh snap, this started happening after I upgraded to bzr versions from 3.0.3, but now I've installed 3.0.3 again and the bug is still there.

Maybe related: I had to change AuthPassword earlier today because none of the passwords I tried worked. After disabling msn autoconnect in the xml, I noticed jabber and twitter can't connect anymore

05:07 <@root> jabber - Login error: Could not connect to server
05:07 <@root> jabber - Logging in: Signing off..
05:07 <@root> jabber - Login error: Short write() to server

Twitter is just asking for a new OAuth token.

How the hell did I break things so much?

comment:2 Changed at 2011-11-13T08:59:52Z by dx@…

I discovered the "bitlbee -x dec" command. The result is 6/7 bytes of random garbage for my msn password, 14 or so for jabber, and a longer string of garbage for twitter.

I'm making a backup of the .xml for testing purposes and replacing passwords

comment:3 Changed at 2011-11-14T11:16:46Z by wilmer

How did this end up? I assume you never edited your account file by hand? Indeed weird things happen when the hashed password in there is changed but the encrypted IM account passwords are not. I tried to fix this by at least still having them \0-terminated but things still go wrong in ways like what you saw here.

Any idea what could've caused this corruption?

comment:4 Changed at 2011-11-20T03:16:19Z by dx@…

Oops, sorry, I forgot about this ticket after I replaced passwords and everything started working again.

What I did first that day was upgrading to bzr, then I noticed that it was asking for an AuthPassword and I didn't know it, so i changed AuthPassword, OperPassword and HostName (added ".org" at the end so irssi could parse netsplits properly), then when I logged with that AuthPassword it crashed. That's all. Setting back HostName to the old value didn't fix anything.

comment:5 Changed at 2011-11-22T18:48:53Z by wilmer

Resolution: worksforme
Status: newclosed

Hrmm, weird.. If you get this again with clear steps to reproduce, feel free to reopen..

Modify Ticket

as closed The owner will remain wilmer.
The resolution will be deleted. Next status will be 'reopened'.

Add Comment

E-mail address and name can be saved in the Preferences.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.