#536 closed defect (fixed)

msn "Unknown authentication type"

Reported by: TheGZeus <gzeusmants@…> Owned by: wilmer
Priority: normal Milestone:
Component: MSN Version: 1.2.4
Keywords: Cc:
IRC client+version: Client-independent Operating System: Public server
OS version/distro:


(Originally reported in Debian's BTS, I'm moving this bug to bugs.b.o now. </wilmer>)

bitlbee fails to connect to MSN with the error 'Unknown authentication type' I was able to connect once by restarting bitlbee, but that has not worked since.

Attachments (0)

Change History (7)

comment:1 Changed at 2009-11-01T15:23:54Z by wilmer

Also reported by sjefen6 on #bitlbee.

At least in that case it seems to be caused by an invalid UTF-8 character in the friendly name that has 0x20 in it (ie. a space).

gzeus, do you have any non-ASCII characters in your MSN display name?

comment:2 Changed at 2009-11-01T16:14:17Z by gzeus <gzeusmants@…>

I don't believe so, I think it was just my email address. It used to work, but on the most recent upgrade, poof. At Sun, 01 Nov 2009 15:23:55 -0000, BitlBee wrote:

[quote removed]

comment:3 Changed at 2009-11-02T10:20:13Z by avar

I'm using bitlbee 1.2.3-2 and got the same error with the display_name "Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason". After I changed it to "avar" in Pidgin I could connect with bitlbee again.

I recently set the display name to the UTF8/0x20 name:

00:06 <@avar> account set 0/display_name "Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason"
00:06 <@root> display_name = `Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason'

After that I was able to reconnect several times. But after upgrading the bitlbee package in debian testing I ceased being able to do so.

comment:4 Changed at 2009-11-03T11:43:07Z by wilmer

Hrmm. BitlBee hasn't changed it behaviour there any time recently (unless you were running 0.80 or something like that before, but that seems very unlikely). I'll do some experimenting with that name myself.

Æ was the source of the problem for the guy on IRC as well, at least.

comment:5 Changed at 2009-11-03T12:15:55Z by gzeus <gzeusmants@…>

I did indeed have japanese in my nick. I'd been using bitlbee for so long that I'd forgotten. Odd regression, though. At Sun, 01 Nov 2009 15:23:55 -0000, BitlBee wrote:

[quote removed]

comment:6 Changed at 2009-11-03T12:25:42Z by Wilmer van der Gaast <wilmer@…>

gzeus wrote:

I did indeed have japanese in my nick. I'd been using bitlbee for so long that I'd forgotten.
Odd regression, though.

A-ha! So this is what I saw with the guy in #bitlbee too. He had a
character in his name that got corrupted by the MSN server (at least at
this point I'm pretty sure this is a bug/"feature" in there), converting
one of the characters into a space.

Having a space character in the middle of the name confused BitlBee
badly and made it barf completely when it finishes logging in (the last
step of loggin in includes the server telling the client what his/her
display name is).

The work-around is simple, just make BitlBee less strict. But getting
the right information would still be nice, I'm not sure how to do that.

comment:7 Changed at 2010-03-14T20:20:33Z by wilmer

Resolution: fixed
Status: newclosed

changeset:devel,509 fixes this. Sadly by ignoring the name information, but that's still better than not being able to log in at all..

Modify Ticket

as closed The owner will remain wilmer.
The resolution will be deleted.

Add Comment

E-mail address and name can be saved in the Preferences.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.